Skip to main content

Called to Be a Missionary

On July 14, 2005, God called me to be a missionary to Spanish speaking people. It was during my first foreign missions trip, in Peru. I don’t remember all the details of that night, but I remember the overwhelming burden on my heart for the lost souls there. I remember praying and committing myself to serve God among Spanish speaking people. I remember my parents’ excitement and support when I told them that God was calling me to be a missionary.

Summer Missions Internship in Lima, Peru

I spent the next 10 years of my life preparing and looking for the place and the specific ministries God was calling me to. I returned to Peru three times, traveled to Mexico and Ecuador, and served for a year in Puerto Rico. I studied missions and Spanish in college and ministered in Spanish speaking ministries in my hometown.

Throughout this time, both through my experiences and through the counsel of pastors and spiritual leaders in my life, God has burdened me for two specific areas of ministry: theological education and youth and children’s ministry. Through my education and service opportunities, God has been preparing me for service in these two specific areas.

One of the most exciting moments in my life happened about two years ago, when God brought these two together in one of the biggest “Aha!” moments of my life. I had met my wife online a month before, and through her I got connected with a missionary in Puebla, Mexico. He and his family were praying about and planning to start a Christian orphanage.

Dinner with the Bults (missionaries in Puebla)

When I heard about this opportunity, I was excited. I love working with kids. But in the back of my mind, I still wanted more. I was also burdened to be involved in training young men for ministry. So when I called the missionary about his ministry there, I found out that there is also a Bible college there where I can teach and help train young men for ministry.

That’s when I knew.

For the last ten years God had been preparing me for this moment, and it was finally here. This is what I’ve been looking for!

Have you ever had a moment like that in your life, when God just makes His will for you so clear? It’s exciting, isn’t it?

At Camino Global Headquarters in Dallas
Since that time, God has continued to lead us toward this ministry. Sarah and I got married and began pursuing this mission work together. 

Last November we were approved by Camino Global as missionary appointees to Puebla, Mexico. We are raising support and plan to begin our ministry there in less than a year. 


God is opening the doors, and we couldn’t be more excited. He is so good!


How is God calling you to use your life? Are you following His call?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Month in Mexico

When we arrived in Mexico in late April, we hit the ground running. Two days after arriving, God led us to our house. The house is only an 8-minute walk to Puebla Bible Seminary, and very close to some other missionary families. Our second weekend here was our missionary team’s annual retreat, and we spent the weekend at Veracruz. We enjoyed getting to know our teammates some during that time, and we had the opportunity to share our story and how God brought us to Mexico. It was a sweet time of fellowship. Over the last month we have visited 4 churches in Puebla. We are still looking for the place where God would have us join and minister, and we’re praying for God to direct us in this decision. Already during our time here, God has begun to provide some friendships for us. We’ve enjoyed getting to know some of the other missionaries here in Puebla, as well as some Mexican believers. Some other things that have happened: We got a car and license plates and beg...

Same Mission, New Agency

A NEW AGENCY After months of prayer and consideration, along with counsel from pastors and other friends and family, we want to inform you of a big and exciting change for us! In an effort to be the best stewards of the resources God has provided through our supporters, we are resigning from our current mission board, Avant, and we are transitioning to a new agency, Mission Quest ( https://missionquest.org ). WHAT IS CHANGING? This change does not affect our ministries here in Mexico. We plan to continue in the same ministry as before: Making disciples of Jesus Christ in Puebla, Mexico through orphan care, theological education, and church ministries . This is also not a change in doctrine . Our beliefs have not changed! You can check out Mission Quest’s doctrinal statement here: https://missionquest.org/about/Missionary-Statement-of-Faith/ WHY CHANGE? For us, this change is about stewardship . For our family to continue with Avant would not be good stewardship of th...

Getting Settled in Puebla

Exciting News! The Lord has added a new member to our family! We are expecting the arrival of baby Collins in early 2019. Please pray with us for health for Sarah and the baby during the pregnancy. Please pray also for God’s provision for the physical and financial needs we will have as we anticipate the birth of our child. We are very thankful for this precious gift from God! Preparing for Greek Exegesis Chris has been spending a lot of time the last few weeks studying Greek and preparing for his Greek Exegesis class this fall at Puebla Bible Seminary. One of the assignments for the students is to translate John chapters 1-4, so he has been working on translating that passage. In addition, there are multiple textbooks to read through (in Spanish!), so there is still a lot of preparation to do . Spanish Tutoring One of the main things we’ve been working on the last few weeks is improving our Spanish. Though we are both fluent, there is still much more for us to le...