Skip to main content

One Decision That Changed the Course of My Life

When I was finishing up eighth grade and getting ready to transition to high school, I had some decisions to make. For the first time in my education, I had some choice in what classes to take. I decided to take English class over the summer and get it out of the way so I could take another elective. For the life of me, I can’t remember why, but I had chosen German for my extra elective (no offense to any German lovers reading this!).

Before finalizing my decision, I talked with my parents about my classes, and I told them my plans. Dad suggested that instead of taking German, I should consider taking Spanish because I would have more opportunities to use it, especially in ministry. His words were prophetic. I took his advice and signed up for Spanish instead.

When I started taking Spanish in 9th grade, the only words I already knew were taco, seƱorita, nachos, and probably a few numbers, which I picked up from the Mexican restaurants we ate at. So when the teacher came into class speaking Spanish, I was in over my head. Thankfully, it got better from there, and I picked it up very easily. I loved Spanish and took all 3 years offered in high school, then began college Spanish classes as a Senior in high school.

After my second year of Spanish in high school, I took a mission trip with my church to Peru. That trip further changed my life. God had already been stirring in me a desire to serve Him in mission work, but there it became clear that my mission work would involve Spanish. I prayed with a missionary there and committed my life to serving God as a missionary among Spanish speaking people.

I spent the next several years studying more Spanish, traveling back to Peru, as well as Mexico and Ecuador. I studied Missions in college and minored in Spanish in preparation for service. I served at Spanish speaking churches during college and grad school where I continued to develop my language and ministry abilities. I even spent a year working at a small Christian school in Puerto Rico where I taught Bible classes and helped prepare Spanish speaking students for ministry.

Then, just over 2 years ago, I met Sarah online. She also had a passion for serving God among Spanish speaking people. We started chatting and met in person a couple months later. On April 23, 2016, we were married, and quickly began pursuing mission work in Mexico with Camino Global, a mission board focused on working with Spanish speaking people. In November 2016, we were approved to be missionaries to Mexico, and we are now raising support to go there.


All of my biggest dreams are now coming true. All because I followed my dad’s advice. 

Thanks, Dad!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Same Mission, New Agency

A NEW AGENCY After months of prayer and consideration, along with counsel from pastors and other friends and family, we want to inform you of a big and exciting change for us! In an effort to be the best stewards of the resources God has provided through our supporters, we are resigning from our current mission board, Avant, and we are transitioning to a new agency, Mission Quest ( https://missionquest.org ). WHAT IS CHANGING? This change does not affect our ministries here in Mexico. We plan to continue in the same ministry as before: Making disciples of Jesus Christ in Puebla, Mexico through orphan care, theological education, and church ministries . This is also not a change in doctrine . Our beliefs have not changed! You can check out Mission Quest’s doctrinal statement here: https://missionquest.org/about/Missionary-Statement-of-Faith/ WHY CHANGE? For us, this change is about stewardship . For our family to continue with Avant would not be good stewardship of th...

First Month in Mexico

When we arrived in Mexico in late April, we hit the ground running. Two days after arriving, God led us to our house. The house is only an 8-minute walk to Puebla Bible Seminary, and very close to some other missionary families. Our second weekend here was our missionary team’s annual retreat, and we spent the weekend at Veracruz. We enjoyed getting to know our teammates some during that time, and we had the opportunity to share our story and how God brought us to Mexico. It was a sweet time of fellowship. Over the last month we have visited 4 churches in Puebla. We are still looking for the place where God would have us join and minister, and we’re praying for God to direct us in this decision. Already during our time here, God has begun to provide some friendships for us. We’ve enjoyed getting to know some of the other missionaries here in Puebla, as well as some Mexican believers. Some other things that have happened: We got a car and license plates and beg...

Mexico, Here We Come!

Tomorrow morning, while you will probably still be sleeping, we will begin our journey to Mexico. Our first flight is scheduled just before 5:30 AM, and we will be traveling all day with two connecting flights before we get to Puebla, Mexico tomorrow evening. We found out today that the airline we are flying with (Delta) had a major glitch in their system a couple days ago with hundreds of flights canceled, and so we are hoping and praying that our flights will not be canceled or delayed tomorrow. Please pray with us for safe and timely travel and connections tomorrow, and for patience and wisdom should we have to deal with canceled or delayed flights. Please pray for our different opportunities while we are in Mexico. We will have opportunities to meet many missionaries and other contacts in the Puebla area. We will have opportunities to see a variety of ministries and places we can serve in the future. We will have opportunities to share the gospel as I (Chris) speak at an orphanage...